We spend on average one third of our lives sleeping. That’s ONE THIRD!!
But why is sleep so important? Without going all ‘Doctor Sally’, here’s a few interesting points about how getting a good night’s sleep can benefit you:
- Improves memory
- Curb inflammation (linked to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, arthritis, and premature ageing particularly those who get less than six hours of sleep)
- Help the creative juices flow
- Improves learning and attention whilst learning
- Sleep and metabolism are controlled by the same part of the brain so it can help aid weight loss
- Keep stress levels at bay
- Avoid accidents especially when driving as when you’re sleep deprived it slows down your reaction time
- Can help depression and anxiety and improve your mood 🙂
- Too little sleep can effect your lifespan!
Some of these points were taken from Health.com and here’s another couple of interesting articles on Cosmopolitan and Nestmaven too about sleep and complexion that I found interesting.
Right – so we’re all on-board with the idea that sleep is kind of a big deal and has a really positive aspect on our lives. They say that eight hours a night is around the perfect amount of time and that too little/too much sleep can be counter-productive for some of the above reasons.
With all this in mind, when we moved house Ayman and I decided that we would treat ourselves to a new BIG bed that we absolutely loved. For years we squashed into a standard double as the bedrooms in our previous house were a little modest to say the least. We tried a couple of different mattresses over the years but never felt like we had found ‘the one’. So – first things first – we ordered a new super king sized bed meaning we could both ‘starfish’ as much as we wanted and also, with Baby No.2 soon to arrive, we’d be needing that extra room for family snuggles 🙂
So to accompany our new super king size bed, we opted for a luxury mattress from Drift. I feel very fortunate to have collaborated with them on this but I said I could only truly review the mattress after we’d had chance to test it out. Well, it’s now been two months of sleep-testing and it’s been, without doubt, the best mattress we’ve ever had. (Maybe too good as Ayman has been late for work a few times!).
It comes rolled and packaged as shown in the pictures above which makes for easy movement and accessibility. Once you take it out of the bag you then let it breathe for 24 hours so it can settle into its natural shape before jumping on it for your first night’s sleep. This proved hard to resist by-the-way as it was sat there looking all lovely and new as we slept next to it on our soon-to-be-redundant little bed.
As you can see Hugo had lots of fun rolling about on it before our bed arrived and we could lay it out!
Ta daaaa… our new beautiful mattress! How on earth it squeezed into that bag I’ll never know.
If you’re looking for a new mattress and haven’t made your decision yet then let me give you some food for thought on this beauty from Drift…
- Each mattress is hand-made in Britain using expert craftsmanship.
- It’s made a with a layer of wool and cotton to help regulate your changing temperature as you sleep. Honestly this has been a game changer for me as I often get hot sweats in the night and there’s only been one occasion since sleeping in this bed that I’ve woken due to being too hot. Maybe down to pregnancy hormones I don’t know but I used to wake all the time!
- It has over 4,000 micro pocket springs in each mattress (5,000 in our super king size) which moulds to your body shape yet stays responsive every night. That’s the beauty of micro pocket springs as opposed to foam, for example. Thank goodness for that or else I’d be sleeping in a big bump-shaped crater for the rest of my life haha.
- They provide a no-obligation 100 night trial promising a full refund and free collection if you don’t like it – well, we’re nearly there and there’s no way we’re sending this back!
- You get a 10 year guarantee on it. Happy days 🙂
- The mattresses start at £449 and like I mentioned earlier, for something we spend a third of our life on I think that makes them an affordable luxury.
I know I mentioned before about all the benefits of sleep and I’m well aware that I’m about to enter another year of reduced sleep… I have the evidence with the extra wrinkles that have appeared since motherhood began! So what I’m going to focus on for the foreseeable future is quality of sleep and not so much the quantity and so far, I can honestly say that I’ve recently been sleeping like a little baby on our new mattress so that will stand me in good stead for the months ahead.
Being heavily pregnant it’s a mission to even roll from one side to the other but this mattress gives me the support I’ve needed to help reduce any discomfort whilst sleeping along with my pregnancy pillow from BBHugMe which has been an absolute life saver!
I know it’s usually masked with bedding but I love how it has the words ‘Sleep Well’ sewn into it like some sort of subliminal message leaving us destined to doze dreamily.
If you have any questions then please let me know and I hope you like the first glimpses of our new room.
I’ll be doing a bedroom feature soon of some of my finds and also items that are on my wish list too.
Have a fabulous week my lovelies!
This post was in collaboration with Drift; as ever, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I only blog about products/services that I truly love, would genuinely use, and would legitimately recommend to others.
Gorgeous post my lovely!
Makes me feel all sleepy and ready for bed! 🙂
We so need a kingside bed too…and probably a new matress!
Enjoy every min of snoozy time while we can get it xxx
Not going to lie – I’m well jel of both your mattress and gorgeous bed frame! You know me and my lack of sleep… as I read this at 5 to midnight when I have to get up at 5am, I have to say I feel a little stressed! Lol! Kidding – but you have reinforced the need to better and quality sleep – and I think you’re right it’s a luxury to be afforded when sleep take us such a huge chunk of our lives. Brilliant post lovely – mattress sounds great and such an interesting/informative post too! xxx
Oh Jules, you need more sleep my love but you manage on the lack of it so well, I think I wouldn’t be able to function properly if that was me, although with a new born it’s questionable isn’t it haha xxxx Love you
I’m trying to… looking forward to the new born adrenaline to kick in when the baby arrives and hopefully some naps together when Hugo’s at nursery 😉 xxx